In this program you can enjoy the Hike to Laguna de los Tres, the main panoramic point of the area where we will have impressive views of Cerro Fitz Roy, and the Ice Trek Cagliero Glacier excursion, which undoubtedly plunges us into deep and unexplored Patagonia.
We will enjoy one night at Poincenot Camp, with all the comforts for a pleasant stay, and another night at Vivac Cagliero, equipped with structural domes located at the foot of the glacier.
Day 1: EL CHALTÉN – LAGUNA DE LOS TRES – POINCENOT CAMP
We start at 8 am picking you up at your hotel and from El Chaltén we begin the hike to Laguna de los Tres. On the way we will cross the viewpoint of the Río de las Vueltas and Laguna Capri.
We will enjoy the box lunch in Laguna de los Tres and then we will return to Poincenot camp, where we will spend the night. We can enjoy a delicious dinner and then we will rest in bedroom tents.
Hiking time: 6:00 hrs.
Distance: 17 km
Elevation gain: 700 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Accommodation: Camp (sleeping tent in double occupancy, sleeping bag & insulating mat)
Day 2: POINCENOT CAMP – RESERVA LOS HUEMULES – VIVAC CAGLIERO
After breakfast, we will start a downhill hike to the Hostería El Pilar, where the transfer will be waiting to take us to the Los Huemules Reserve. Once in the reservation, we will enter the Visitors Center, to check in.
We start our hike by a trail that goes through three fascinating Lengas forests within a private reserve and away from the busiest trails. We will enjoy the unusual view of Fitz Roy, its northern wall. We continue the path to the Diablo Lagoon through a natural but irregular terrain until we reach the beginning of the Via Ferrata.
As the meters pass, the crossing becomes more and more entertaining, transforming this part of the activity into an excursion in itself and the views will improve as we gain altitude. Approximately 1.30 hours will take us to the Glacier Viewpoint. From there to the North we can see the unexplored Cagliero Sur Glacier (950 msnm), which for years remained alive thanks to its orientation and the accumulation of snow from the Neumayer, Cagliero and Loma del Diablo hills.
From the viewpoint a short walk will take us to the front of the glacier and to the “Vivac Cagliero,” our base armed with domes. Here the guides equip us with crampons to start the walk on the glacier proper. Depending on the climatic conditions and the physical level of the group we can make an ice climbing initiation.
In the afternoon we return to the Vivac Cagliero, and next to a hot drink we will enjoy the nature and the beautiful view. The night gives us the unique opportunity to rest next to the Glacier, in our domes equipped with beds.
Hiking time: 8:00 hrs.
Distance: 18 km
Elevation gain: 550 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Meals: Breakfast, Box Lunch, Dinner
Accommodation: Dome (bed, sleeping bag, insulating mat)
Day 3: VIVAC CAGLIERO – RESERVA LOS HUEMULES – EL CHALTÉN
After breakfast and assisted by our guide we will back to the glacier until midday, when we will back to the Vivac.
After the lunch we begin with the descent by a Tibetan bridge to the Río Diablo. From there we continue the descent along a new path bordering the Laguna Verde and Laguna Azul.
We will arrive to the entrance of the Reserva Los Huemules, where our vehicle will be waiting for us (5:30 pm approximately). Transportation to El Chaltén. End of the services.
Hiking time: 5:00 hrs.
Distance: 7 km
Elevation gain: 0 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Meals: Breakfast, Box Lunch
Accommodation: Not included
The hiking times, distances and elevation gains are tentative.
Remember that each person will have to carry their own personal equipment, box lunch and water during all the program route.
- Mountain guide
- All transportation specified in the itinerary
- One night at Poincenot Camp (sleeping tent in double occupancy, sleeping bag & insulating mat)
- One night at Vivac Cagliero (Bed, sleeping bag and insulating mat)
- Reserva Los Huemules entrance fee
- Technical equipment for the activity (crampons, harnesses, helmets, etc.)
- Meals specified in the itinerary
- Box lunch (day 1)
- Personal equipment
- All the services that are not specified in this program
- A backpack of 30 liters capacity (Day pack)
- Water-proof trekking boots
- Synthetic mountain stockings (2 pairs)
- Strong fleece pants, trekking or other synthetic material
- Waterproof trousers with side closures (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Polar fleece jacket
- Duvet or synthetic jacket for warmth when not hiking
- Waterproof Shell jacket with hood (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Two synthetic polypropylene shirts
- Polar fiber cap
- Glacier sun glasses with UV filter for high solar radiation
- One sun cap
- One pair of polar gloves
- Plastic bottle (if possible, wide mouth, Nalgene type)
- Headlamp (with replacement batteries)
- Multi-purpose penknife
- Sunscreen cream (SPF 50)
- Lipstick with sunscreen (SPF 50)
- Personal first aid kit with personal medicines
- Wide adhesive tape for blisters
- Hygiene items reduced to the minimum necessary
- Photographic equipment
- One pair of trekking or ski poles (optional)
Booking Code: T – FRE 21