This activity is aimed at all kinds of clients with and without experience. The guide will evaluate each person’s experience and then begin the activity. You can enjoy a practice day at the Cagliero Glacier. The objective of this school is for the student to live the experience of ice climbing acquiring basic concepts of climbing and the use of different safety elements.
Day 1: EL CHALTÉN – RESERVA LOS HUEMULES – GLACIAR CAGLIERO
The activity starts at 8 am from your hotel. We move in our vehicle to the “Los Huemules Reserve,” located 16 km from the town. Once we arrive, we will enter the Visitors Center, to check in.
We start our hike by a trail that goes through three fascinating Lengas forests within a private reserve and away from the busiest trails. We will enjoy the unusual view of Fitz Roy, its northern wall. We continue the path to the Diablo Lagoon through a natural but irregular terrain until we reach the beginning of the Via Ferrata.
Approximately 1.30 hours will take us to the Glacier Viewpoint. From here a short walk will take us to the front of the glacier and to the “Vivac Cagliero,” our base armed with domes.
Here our guide will explain the techniques and safety mechanisms, after which we will be ready to start the ice climbing activities.
During the day we will have a break to eat the box lunch and after the activities we will return to the Vivac Cagliero, and together with a hot drink we will enjoy nature and the beautiful view. The night gives us the unique opportunity to rest next to the Glacier, in our domes equipped with beds.
Activity time: 8:00 hrs.
Distance: 7 km
Elevation gain: 550 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Accommodation: Dome (bed, sleeping bag, insulating mat)
Day 2: GLACIAR CAGLIERO – RESERVA LOS HUEMULES – EL CHALTÉN
After breakfast and accompanied by our guide we will go to the glacier again to continue with the ice practices. At noon we will have a break, to enjoy the box lunch.
Around 4:00 pm, we will return to the vivac, where we will leave the technical gear, collect our belongings and begin with the descent by a Tibetan bridge to the Río Diablo. From there we continue the descent until Reserva Los Huemules entrance, where our vehicle will be waiting for us, 5:30 pm approximately. Transportation to El Chaltén. End of the services.
Activity time: 5:00 hrs.
Distance: 7 km
Elevation gain: 0 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Meals: Breakfast, Box Lunch
Accommodation: Not included
Contents to develop in this stage:
Increasing technical knowledge/skills in all aspects of snow and alpine climbing including: Glacier travel. Rope/belay techniques. Crevasse rescue. Route finding. Self-arrest. Rappelling. Safe climbing. Cramponing.
The hiking times, distances and elevation gains are tentative.
Remember that each person will have to carry their own personal equipment, box lunch and water during all the program route.
- Mountain guide
- Reserva Los Huemules entrance fee
- Round trip transportation from El Chaltén to Reserva Los Huemules
- Technical equipment for the activity (crampons, harnesses, helmets, etc.)
- One night at Vivac Cagliero (Bed, sleeping bag and insulating mat)
- Meals specified in the itinerary
- Box lunch (day 1)
- Personal equipment
- All the services that are not specified in this program
- A backpack of 40 liters capacity (Day pack)
- Water-proof trekking boots
- Synthetic mountain stockings (2 pairs)
- Strong fleece pants, trekking or other synthetic material
- Waterproof trousers with side closures (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Two synthetic polypropylene shirts
- Polar fleece jacket
- Duvet or synthetic jacket for warmth when not hiking
- Waterproof Shell jacket with hood (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Polar fiber cap
- Glacier sun glasses with UV filter for high solar radiation
- One sun cap
- One pair of polar gloves
- Plastic bottle (if possible, wide mouth, Nalgene type)
- Headlamp (with replacement batteries)
- Multi-purpose penknife
- Sunscreen cream (SPF 50)
- Lipstick with sunscreen (SPF 50)
- Personal first aid kit with personal medicines
- Wide adhesive tape for blisters
- Hygiene items reduced to the minimum necessary
- Photographic equipment
- One pair of trekking or ski poles (optional)
Booking Code: C – FRE 43