* Promotional rate reserving until October 31
Assisted by our best mountain guides, we invite you to enjoy a trekking exploring dreamed forests. Then, we feel as climbers with all the security of a “Via Ferrata” and finally walk on the centenary ice of the Cagliero Glacier.
Undoubtedly, this unique program immerses us like no other in deep and unexplored Patagonia.
The activity starts at 8 am. We move in our vehicle to the Reserva Los Huemules, located 16 km from El Chaltén.
The trail goes through three fascinating Lengas forests within a private reserve and away from the busiest trails. We will enjoy the unusual view of Fitz Roy, its northern wall. We continue skirting the Laguna del Diablo through a natural but irregular terrain until we reach the beginning of the Via Ferrata.
As the meters pass, the crossing becomes more and more entertaining, transforming this part of the activity into an excursion in itself and the views will improve as we gain altitude. Approximately 1.30 hours will take us to the Glacier viewpoint. From there to the North we can see the unexplored Glaciar Cagliero Sur (950 m), which for years remained alive thanks to its orientation and the accumulation of snow from the Neumayer, Cagliero and Loma del Diablo hills.
From the viewpoint a short walk will take us to the front of the glacier and to the “Vivac Cagliero”, our base armed with domes. Here the guides equip us with crampons to start the walk on the glacier proper. The average stay on the glacier is 3 hours, depending on the climatic conditions and the physical level of the group.
In the afternoon we return to the Vivac Cagliero. We will enjoy nature and the beautiful view while having a hot dink. Then, we begin with the descent by a Tibetan bridge to the Río Diablo and from there to the entrance of the Reserva Los Huemules where our vehicle will be waiting for us (6:00 pm approximately).
Transportation to El Chaltén. End of the services.
Hiking time: 8:00 hrs
Distance: 14 km
Elevation gain: 550 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Meals: Not included
Accommodation: Not included
The hiking times, distances and elevation gains are tentative.
Remember that each person will have to carry their own personal equipment, box lunch and water during all the program route.
- Mountain guide
- Reserva Los Huemules entrance fee
- Round trip transportation from El Chaltén to Reserva Los Huemules
- Technical equipment for the activity (crampons, harnesses, helmets, etc.)
- Box lunch
- Personal equipment
- All the services that are not specified in this program
- A backpack of 30 liters capacity (Day pack)
- Water-proof trekking boots
- Synthetic mountain stockings (2 pairs)
- Strong fleece pants, trekking or other synthetic material
- Waterproof trousers with side closures (we recommend Gore-tex)
- A synthetic polypropylene shirt
- Polar fleece jacket
- Waterproof Shell jacket with hood (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Polar fiber cap
- Glacier sun glasses with UV filter for high solar radiation
- One sun cap
- One pair of polar gloves
- Plastic bottle (if possible, wide mouth, Nalgene type)
- Sunscreen cream (SPF 50)
- Lipstick with sunscreen (SPF 50)
- Hygiene items
- Photographic equipment
- One pair of trekking or ski poles (optional)
Booking Code: FRE 1 (Scheduled Excursion)