Assisted by our best mountain guides, we invite you to enjoy this new trekking program. We walk exploring dreamed forests; we feel as climbers with all the security of a “Via Ferrata” and walk on the centenary ice of the Cagliero Glacier. We also stayed 1 night in our dome at the base of the Cagliero Glacier.
Undoubtedly, this unique program immerses us like no other in deep and unexplored Patagonia.
Day 1: EL CHALTÉN – RESERVA LOS HUEMULES – VIVAC CAGLIERO
The activity starts at 8 am from your hotel. We move in our vehicle to the “Los Huemules Reserve,” located 16 km from the town. Once we arrive, we will enter the Visitors Center, to check in.
We start our hike by a trail that goes through three fascinating Lengas forests within a private reserve and away from the busiest trails. We will enjoy the unusual view of Fitz Roy, its northern wall. We continue the path to the Diablo Lagoon through a natural but irregular terrain until we reach the beginning of the Via Ferrata.
As the meters pass, the crossing becomes more and more entertaining, transforming this part of the activity into an excursion in itself and the views will improve as we gain altitude. Approximately 1.30 hours will take us to the Glacier Viewpoint. From there to the North we can see the unexplored Cagliero Sur Glacier (950 msnm), which for years remained alive thanks to its orientation and the accumulation of snow from the Neumayer, Cagliero and Loma del Diablo hills.
From the viewpoint a short walk will take us to the front of the glacier and to the “Vivac Cagliero,” our base armed with domes. Here the guides equip us with crampons to start the walk on the glacier proper. Depending on the climatic conditions and the physical level of the group we can make an ice climbing initiation.
In the afternoon we return to the Vivac Cagliero, and next to a hot drink we will enjoy the nature and the beautiful view. The night gives us the unique opportunity to rest next to the Glacier, in our domes equipped with beds.
Hiking time: 5:30 hrs.
Distance: 7 km
Elevation gain: 550 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Accommodation: Dome (bed, sleeping bag, insulating mat)
Day 2: VIVAC CAGLIERO – RESERVA LOS HUEMULES – EL CHALTÉN
After breakfast and assisted by our guide we will back to the glacier until midday, when we will back to the Vivac.
After the lunch we begin with the descent by a Tibetan bridge to the Río Diablo. From there we continue the descent along a new path bordering the Laguna Verde and Laguna Azul.
We will arrive to the entrance of the Reserva Los Huemules, where our vehicle will be waiting for us (5:30 pm approximately). Transportation to El Chaltén. End of the services.
Hiking time: 5:00 hrs.
Distance: 7 km
Elevation gain: 0 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Meals: Breakfast, Box Lunch
Accommodation: Not included
The hiking times, distances and elevation gains are tentative.
Remember that each person will have to carry their own personal equipment, box lunch and water during all the program route.
- Mountain guide
- Reserva Los Huemules entrance fee
- Round trip transportation from El Chaltén to Reserva Los Huemules
- Technical equipment for the activity (crampons, harnesses, helmets, etc.)
- One night at Vivac Cagliero (Bed, sleeping bag and insulating mat)
- Meals specified in the itinerary
- Box lunch (day 1)
- Personal equipment
- All the services that are not specified in this program
- A backpack of 30 liters capacity (Day pack)
- Water-proof trekking boots
- Synthetic mountain stockings (2 pairs)
- Strong fleece pants, trekking or other synthetic material
- Waterproof trousers with side closures (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Two synthetic polypropylene shirts
- Polar fleece jacket
- Duvet or synthetic jacket for warmth when not hiking
- Waterproof Shell jacket with hood (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Polar fiber cap
- Glacier sun glasses with UV filter for high solar radiation
- One sun cap
- One pair of polar gloves
- Plastic bottle (if possible, wide mouth, Nalgene type)
- Headlamp (with replacement batteries)
- Multi-purpose penknife
- Sunscreen cream (SPF 50)
- Lipstick with sunscreen (SPF 50)
- Personal first aid kit with personal medicines
- Wide adhesive tape for blisters
- Hygiene items reduced to the minimum necessary
- Photographic equipment
- One pair of trekking or ski poles (optional)
Booking Code: T – FRE 21