A two-day trek that, although physically demanding, will show us the north face of Cerro Fitz Roy and its surrounding needles, which make up a circus of granite and ice impossible to imagine. We cross the small glacier El Cuadrado to have the magnificent views of the Guillaumet needle, the Marconi Glacier, the entrance to the Southern Ice Fields and the Cerro Gorra Blanca.
Day 1: EL CHALTÉN – PIEDRA DEL FRAILE – PIEDRAS NEGRAS CAMP
Our day will start 8 am. when we pick you up at your hotel in our vehicle. We will then drive to the beginning of the path located at Río Eléctrico Bridge.
From here, we will start the hike to Piedra del Fraile, crossing through a forest of dreamy Lengas. From here a steep slope will leave us in Piedras Negras, our camping site.
Hiking time: 7:00 hrs.
Distance: 11 km
Elevation gain: 1,050 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Accommodation: Camp (sleeping tent in double occupancy)
Day 2: PIEDRAS NEGRAS CAMP – PASO DE EL CUADRADO – EL CHALTÉN
After breakfast we will start the hike crossing the small glacier of El Cuadrado, to have the magnificent views of the Guillaumet needle, the Marconi Glacier, the entrance to the Southern Ice Fields and the Cerro Gorra Blanca.
When we reach to Paso del Cuadrado, the amazement will be enormous. We will enjoy the box lunch and then return to Piedra del Fraile and from here to the Río Eléctrico bridge, where our vehicle will be waiting for us to take us back to El Chaltén. End of services.
Hiking time: 8:00 hrs.
Distance: 12 km
Elevation gain: 270 m (maximum elevation gain during the day)
Meals: Breakfast, Box Lunch
Accommodation: Not included
The hiking times, distances and elevation gains are tentative.
Remember that each person will have to carry their own personal equipment, box lunch and water during all the program route.
- Mountain guide
- Round trip transportation from El Chaltén to the trailhead
- Technical and camping equipment for the activity
- One camping night (double tent)
- Meals specified in the itinerary
- Box Lunch (day 1)
- Personal equipment
- Sleeping bag and insulating mat
- All the services that are not specified in this program
- Water-proof trekking boots
- Synthetic mountain stockings (2 pairs)
- Strong fleece pants, trekking or other synthetic material
- Waterproof trousers with side closures (we recommend Gore-tex)
- Synthetic underwear (polypropylene): one shirt with long sleeves and one pair of leggings or thin inner pants
- Polar fleece jacket
- Duvet or synthetic jacket for warmth when not hiking
- Waterproof Shell jacket with hood (we recommend 3-layer Gore-tex)
- Polar fiber balaclava
- Polar fiber cap
- Glacier sun glasses with UV filter for high solar radiation, Category 4 or 5
- Ski goggles with UV filter
- One pair of thin gloves made of synthetic material
- One pair of polar gloves or mittens
- Cover mittens (We recommend Gore-tex)
- A backpack of 75/85 liters capacity
- One pair of trekking or ski poles with snow baskets
- Sleeping bag rated -10 C, Duvet or synthetic
- Insulating sleeping pad length (we recommend Therm-a-rest brand)
- Plastic bottle (if possible, wide mouth, Nalgene type)
- One-liter thermos for every two people sharing a tent
- Headlamp (with replacement batteries)
- Multi-purpose penknife
- Mug, bowl, knife, spoon & fork
- Sunscreen cream (SPF 50)
- Lipstick with sunscreen (SPF 50)
- Personal first aid kit with personal medicines
- Wide adhesive tape for blisters
- Hygiene items reduced to the minimum necessary
- Waterproof bags to pack clothes and keep it dry
- Photographic equipment reduced to a minimum
Booking Code: T – FRE 27